Saturday, March 13, 2010

Losing Against Satan

“Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” Ephesians 6:11-12

One of my biggest battles is against my own mind, and what it tells me. When I was little I was sure, absolutely certain, no one wanted to sit next to me, talk to me, or be affiliated with me in any way. I considered myself a charity case. Through the help of God and friends, I have become better at this, but I still have troubles with these things. Notice how I said I was ‘sure’. I didn’t have the faintest doubt.
Sometimes I am sure that I am going to amount to nothing and in the end my friends are all going to leave me. I am sometimes sure that no man can like me because I’m too stupid, not cute enough, and so on. This list goes on.
It’s a losing battle.
I’m not going to win.
I’m sure of this.
Don’t we all have these ‘sure’ thoughts. Thoughts that are so embedded in us that we can’t believe anything else. Why, so often, do we not take these ‘sure’ things and lay them before God?
I’m right you know. I’m not going to win this battle.
God is.
God is the one who has given us the helmet of salvation in the first place (Hebrews 6:17). It is his gift of Salvation not ours.
When we get these doubts about ours we need to do two things.
1. Crash to the grown on our knees and ask God to change our hearts.
2. Believe God will do exactly that – it’s called faith. (John 14:13-14)
We can’t do this on our own. Satan knows everything about us. He knows all our weaknesses, and he knows which spots to push. It’s like in the movies where the bad guy punches the hero’s wound causing pain. It doesn’t make the hero any worse of a man, it just means the enemy knows exactly where to punch. That is why we need the armor God gave us. That is why we need to ask God to show each of us how to put it on, and that is why we always have to stand guard. God is not negative. He made us and loves us. He doesn’t let us feel like the guk sticking to people’s feet. That is Satan every time. God does tell us when we are doing wrong, don’t misinterpret me, but when you are feeling like a piece of crap in this world, it’s Satan, down and center. So my friends, pray and pray hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment